Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Vegan Update


I just realized I had not talked about how Vegan Week ended. If you haven't been reading, last week I went 7 days Vegan mainly as an experiment on how I felt and how difficult the lifestyle would be to keep up.

The Ugly Truth: I cheated three times but considering what a massive departure this was for me I was okay with that. Also the cheating was minor. I didn't eat a cake or a side of beef or anything.

The Verdict: I loved it. I really saw a tremendous difference in how I felt. All of my stomach issues subsided. I wasn't nauseous at all. I was amazed at the massive amount of resources that are out there for Vegans too. I actually found that eliminating dairy is something I certainly want to do. It's difficult simply because it's in everything but I really think that is what made me feel so different. The thing I missed most was fish and I did not miss chicken, beef or yogurt. Cheese and butter I miss.

The Plan: I am definitely going to incorporate Veganism into my diet. I do want to include fish in my diet (a life without sushi is no life at all) but I am going to stick with no meat except for fish and no dairy. I think I learned a lot through this process. Being vegan is a process and it's actually easy to be a vegan if you eat really unhealthy (sodas, chips, etc) so the challenge for me at this point is to not use sugar as a crutch to get me through and to continue to keep away from processed food. It will be a process but I can already tell a difference in my body, how I feel and how I interact with food.

So onto the bigger question.... do you guys want to hear me talk about this anymore or not? I hate hearing people talk about diets so if you say you are sick of it I will not take it personally. I promise. :)

If you want to hear about it, I can share some of the awesome resources I found but I promise not to talk about it more than 1-2 times a week.