Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Killing Plants and Notes on Container Gardening


Although I love to garden, I am horrible. It's true. I am the sad sap replanting things mid summer because I killed everything I planted in April. However, I have two large urns on the front of my house and I have typically been able to keep these alive so I am super excited to fill these to the prim with flowers.

I took a note from this inspiration and here's the plan...

In the two sets of urns on my porch I going with green and white.

1. Wandering Jew. This grows like crazy and it has a wondering trailing habit so it's gorgeous.

2. Eubaphoria (I think). Also referred to as Diamond Frost. It has the great airy quality that I love.

3. White Petunias. My front porch gets baked in the summer with the high 90 degree SC heat. These do great in that sort of environment.

4. Coleus. These grow well on my porch as well.


I am also adding two urns at the bottom of my front steps and for these, I want to add some purple in.

1. Sweet Potato Vine. This comes in a variety of colors but my favorite is this lime green. This grows really fast and will be gorgeous running out of the pots.

2. Purple Petunias.

3. Coleus.

What are you planting this season? I have a bunch of more urns to fill and I need ideas.