Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cleaning Up and Cleaning Out


This weekend Chris and I purged a huge amount of stuff from our house.

First, there is a bi-annual consignment sale in the city we live in. Basically they fill a warehouse with clothes, furniture, books, accessories you name in and there is a two week sale. Chris and I unloaded some unwanted wall art, the chair from our bedroom I had mentioned last week, two extra end tables, a lamp and some books and picture frames. Hopefully we will make a little money but if not at the end everything is shipped off the charity and we get the tax deduction.

I also cleaned out my closet. I do this every spring and every fall. My number one rule is....

If I didn't wear it this season then it goes either to ebay or goodwill dependent on the condition.

I apply this to everything in my closet unless it's something super special. This rule really works for me because I hate clutter. Also we filled the back of the car and dropped a lot of stuff off at Goodwill.

Do any of you have any organizational rules or traditions?

Anyway, I digress onto the point of this post. With every passing showing-less week, Chris and I confronted with the fact that most likely our house will not sell and we are going to be here for a while longer. It's not a big deal. We really knew there was a chance it wouldn't sell. With that realization we have been planning all of the cool things we want to do to the house when we take it off the market (we are renovators at heart). One of those projects for me is to actually have a closet in our bedroom. Right now I use the closet in the guest bedroom because ours is tiny. I want to condense my wardrobe down to what can fit in an armoire and a dresser.
This is a tall order but I think I will love building a small but excellent wardrobe focusing on quality not quantity. The only problem is the space issue. I immediately thought of Nicole at
Making It Lovely who used ikea's organizers to make an excellent closet for herself...


Inspired by Nicole and her awesomeness. Here's my plan...

Invest in a small dresser to replace my bedside table. Store my jewelry, unmentionables, and lounge/gym clothes there.

Invest in a good sized armoire to house all of other clothes.

No idea what to do with my shoes though....

I might have to steal part of Chris' closet. :)

Happy Tuesday!