Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Questions Answered #1


I got a great question from Laura at Paring Down.

In your opinion, what are the basics that should be part of every stylish woman's wardrobe?

What are the best "extras" you think a stylish woman should have?

I love this question! Here's my answer.


THE WORKDAY BASICS



I work in an office everyday and I am frequently in a courtroom so I have to keep things pretty conservative and simple. Here are the basics I love (and I love black in case you can't tell)...

1. Basic Black Trousers (hemmed to brush the floor when you wear your favorite heels)
2. A Great Work Dress like this Wrap Dress from BR
3. Great Black Pumps
4. A Fabulous Jacket

I love these basics because you can build from here to a great wardrobe.

THE CASUAL BASICS
1. Great Jeans. You should look good and feel good in them.
2. Basic Tees. You can do so much with a nice basic tee like this Luxe tee from BR. You can build or wear it alone with great jewelry.
3. Flats. Everyone must own flats. I love these from J.Crew.
4. A Fun Casual Jacket. I bought this one at J.Crew a year or two ago and I wear it constantly.


THE NIGHT OUT BASICS
I have never understood the women who force themselves to go shopping for a new dress before every wedding, graduation or nice dinner they have. If you keep these basics in your closet you will always be ready when something special pops up.

1. Great Black Dress. Something that you feel great in.
2. A Wrap. This is a must!
3. A Clutch. It's absolutely NOT OK to carry a casual purse when you have a fabulous dress on. Invest in a neutral clutch and you will be ready to go.
4. Great shoes to match that great dress.


THE SEASONAL BASICS


For the Winter you need...

1. A Black Turtleneck.
2. A Great Coat. Something like this looks great at work, a night out or with jeans.

For the Summer...

1. Casual Dresses. These are a perfect option and can be dressed down with flops flops or up with cute shoes and jewelry for the office.


THE EXTRAS



This is my favorite part. Let the lecture begin...

1. A Great Bag. Now I know a lot of people are adverse to spending money on a bag but I promise if you buy the right bag you will love it. The black bag above is the Kate Spade Stevie. I have bought this bag in two colors and I love it. It's roomy, easy to organize and I can carry it to work or to the movies. If you are nervous about spending that much money, buy something neutral like black. If you are a bit more adventurous, buy something with some color. Also, a lot of people ask me why I spend that much on bags and my answer is simple. Most women buy several bags a year all of which they feel ho hum about. I buy usually one bag a year and it's one I love and adore so I don't feel the urge to shop for bags but I love the one I spent money on.

2. A Good Wallet. Buy a wallet you love. If you only carry around your license and a debit card, buy a small little wallet meant to only hold cards. It will simply your purse and there's no rule you have to carry a big wallet. Who writes checks anymore anyway? If you need a big wallet, invest in a good one that you love. If you take care of it, you will keep it for a long time.

3. Sunglasses. I don't tend to spend a lot of money on sunglasses because I tend to break them, lose them, drop them in the ocean, etc. Buy ones you love and that look good on you regardless of their price (although I do love the big logos on the side of the expensive ones).

4. Diamond Studs. I love the ones above from Kate Spade. They don't have to be real as long as they are bright and sparkly!

5. Bracelets. A chunky one or a simple pearl one. It depends on your taste but have a great bracelet (and maybe some necklaces) in your jewelry box.

I loved doing this post! Thanks Laura!


On another note, Sara from Russet Street Reno asked this question...

2. With all the lovely outfits you post about, how many do you actually buy (if any)?

I wish I could buy all of the outfits I post about but my budget nor my husband will allow me to. I do own some of the pieces I post about and I do get inspiration from pieces I buy to use on my style boards. Once the student loans are paid off, I will buy a lot more! :)