Thursday, July 15, 2010

My Reading List Update


So I stand before you a failure. Not really. I am fine with this failure. I put 13 books on my reading list and I only read 7. There are tons of books I want to read right now so I am moving the books I did not get to into my "One Day I'll Read This" pile.

On a good note, I read lots of great books and here are my reviews.

SOMEWHERE INSIDE by Lisa Ling and Laura Ling: I reviewed this book previously but it is about Laura Ling's captivity in North Korea. I really loved this book. I found it fascinating because we know so little about North Korea. Excellent read.

JANE EYRE: This is also on my "Before 30 List" and I feel like I have volunteered to have my eyelashes plucked out one by one. I have no idea why I have done this to myself but I am in the middle and I am going to finish. Or at least go get the cliff notes and lie on my Before 30 List.

HOW DID YOU GET THIS NUMBER by Sloane Crossley: Really funny essays. I did like her first book, I Was Told There'd Be Cake, better but this is funny too.

THE PARTICULAR SADNESS OF LEMON CAKE by Aimee Bender: Really good book. I do feel like I need to have a discussion with someone smarter than me about the book because I have one question. "Is her brother a chair?"

THE SUMMER WE READ GATSBY by Danielle Ganek: Freaking loved it! Awesome book. I read it in a matter of days and ready 90% of it in two days. Really really good.

IN HER SHOES by Jennifer Weiner: I had never read a Jennifer Weiner book before so I read this one. I did like the movie way better but hey who didn't? I do really like her writing style though so I am going to have to play catch up and read some of her other books.

COMMITTED by Elizabeth Gilbert: It's no Eat, Pray, Love. I skimmed and didn't finish it. I think it's because I work as part of a bureaucracy so I don't want to read about one. Glad they are together and married though. I was rooting for them.

So what did I learn from my summer reading list?

1. I really need a Nook because I spend a fortune on books

2. Re-reading your favorite classic is often not a good idea. Let yourself keep believing it's your favorite book.

3. Kim Jong Il scares the crap out of me. Seriously, he just makes me nervous now.
4. Sometimes it's okay to like the movie better

5. Sometimes you can totally judge a book by it's cover.

6. I still haven't read a Jane Austen book but I am on "classics" overload at the moment and that's okay.