Monday, February 15, 2010

Must Read: Shoo, Jimmy Choo by Catey Hill


Now if you are thinking this is some chick lit along the lines of Chasing Harry Winston or Confessions of a Shopaholic you will be a little surprised when you find out this book is all about personal finance.

Today in B&N I was intrigued by the cover and I flipped through the book quickly. I wasn't really shopping for a book on finance but when I flipped through and saw all of the information on student loans, retirement accounts, insurance and emergency funds I was intrigued. I got home and read the book in one afternoon. It was excellent.

I went to Law School so I know a fair amount about taxes, mutual funds, blah blah but I do lack a lot of basic knowledge about certain aspects of investments but the book gives you an excellent base knowledge of all things personal finance. Also the book does a fabulous job of breaking down the reality of credit cards, student loans and mortgages. I really wish someone had given me this book when I graduated from college. The information is simplified but perfect someone just starting out with student loan or credit card debt and anyone trying to determine how to prepare for the future. If you have no idea what a no load mutual fund is, this book is for you and this is a great gift for all women in their 20s or 30s too.

Who would have thought a book about finances would catapult me out of my reading rut? Who knew?