Sunday, December 27, 2009

Jess and Martha: Recipe #2 & #3, Yellow Cake with Easy Chocolate Buttercream


I have to admit that I have never made a yellow cake that didn't come out of a box. I have probably only made a handful of cakes period that didn't come out of a box.

Thanks to Martha that is no longer the case!

I made my second and third recipes in the Martha Stewart Cooking School

YELLOW BUTTER CAKE WITH EASY CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM

I had to make a cake for a luncheon at work (the Lady Attorney Super Social Luncheon actually). It was a lunch for the female attorneys in my office at my boss' house. This seemed like the perfect opportunity to dive into these recipes.

I would say it is an easy recipe although I did make a mess and use every mixing bowl I had. This was for two reasons:

#1: I could not find cake flour but I found a recipe for cake flour substitute (all purpose flour and corn starch) and I cannot sift without making a mess.

#2: When making the frosting I accidentally turned my mixer on high. There was confectioner's sugar EVERYWHERE!

But several dish towels and a good bit of clean up later, the cake was finished.